Best Paper Awards
- Blackley SV, MacPhaul E, Martin B, Song W, Suzuki J, Zhou L. Using Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning to Identify Hospitalized Patients with Opioid Use Disorder. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2020.
- Distinguished Paper Award, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Annual Symposium, 2020
- Wang L, Lakin J, Riley C, Korach Z, Frain L, Zhou L. Disease Trajectories and End-of-Life Care for Dementias: Latent Topic Modeling and Trend Analysis Using Clinical Notes. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2018.
- Distinguished Paper Award, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Annual Symposium, San Francisco, CA, 2018
- Navathe AS, Zhong F, Lei V, Chang F, Sordo Sanchez M, Navathe S, Topaz M, Rocha RA, Zhou L Hospital Readmission and Social Risk Factors Identified from Physician Notes. Health Serv Res. 2017 Mar 13. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12670.
- “Best of ARM” Paper, AcademyHealth’s Annual Research Meeting (ARM)
- Zhou L, Hongsermeier T, Boxwala A, Lewis J, Kawamoto K, Maviglia S, Gentile D, Teich JM, Rocha R, Bell D, Middleton B. Structured representation for core elements of common clinical decision support interventions to facilitate knowledge sharing. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013; 192:195-9.
- Distinguished Paper Award in Medinfo – The 14th World Congress on Medical and Health Informatics / IMIA, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2013
- Zhou L, Hripcsak G. Temporal Reasoning with Medical Data – A Review with Emphasis on Medical Natural Language Processing. J Biomed Inform 2007 Apr;40(2):183-202. PMID: 17317332.
- The best of medical informatics” article in 2007. International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA) Yearbook
- Zhou L, Friedman C, Parsons S, Hripcsak G. System Architecture for Temporal Information Extraction, Representation and Reasoning in Clinical Narrative Reports. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2005; 869-873. PMID: 16779164.
- Nominated for the Best Student Paper Award
- Zhou L, Baughman AW, Lei VJ, Lai KH, Navathe AS, Chang F, Sordo M, Topaz M, Zhong F, Murrali M, Navathe S, Rocha RA. Identifying Patients with Depression Using Free-text Clinical Documents. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2015;216:629-33. PMID: 26262127.
- Received Best Paper Award Nomination in Medinfo – The 15th World Congress on Medical and Health Informatics / IMIA, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2015.
- Tang C, Zhou L, Plasek J, Rozenblum R, Bates D. Comment Topic Evolution on a Cancer Institution’s Facebook Page. Applied clinical informatics 2017 Aug 23; 8(3):854-65 doi: 10.4338/ACI-2017-04-RA-0055.
- Selected as one of the 15 candidate best papers in Cancer Informatics by the 2018 International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA) Yearbook.
- Chunlei Tang, Joseph Plasek, Haohan Zhang, Yun Xiong, David Bates, Li Zhou. A Deep Learning Approach to Handling Temporal Variation in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Progression. 2018 IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine. Madrid, Spain.
- Received the IEEE BIBM 2018 Student Travel Award sponsored by the National Science Foundation. Madrid, Spain. 2018.
- Harry Reyes Nieva, Suzanne V. Blackley, Carl G. Streed Jr, Julie Fiskio, Li Zhou. High Physician and Clinic-level Variation in Documentation of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in the Electronic Health Record.
- Received the Ruth and William Silen, MD Award at the New England Science Symposium, Boston, MA, 2018.
- Wang L, Sha L, Lakin J, Korach Z, Hong P, Zhou, L. Identifying Dementia Patients for Early Palliative Care Intervention: Mortality Prediction Using Deep Learning and Clinical Notes.
- Received the Best Poster Award in the “Tools & Solutions for Improving Efficiency” category at the Partners Center for Population Health Research Symposium, Boston, MA, 2018.
- Dhopeshwarkar NV, Sheikh A, Doan R, Topaz M, Bates DW, Blumenthal KG, Zhou L. Drug-induced Anaphylaxis Documented in Electronic Health Records. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology: In Practice. 2019 Jan 1;7(1):103-11. (reported by Physician’s Weekly)
- Blumenthal KG, Li Y, Acker WW, Chang Y, Banerji A, Ghaznavi S, Camargo CA, Zhou L. Multiple Drug Intolerance Syndrome and Multiple Drug Allergy Syndrome: Epidemiology and Associations with Anxiety and Depression. Allergy. 2018 Mar 25. doi: 10.1111/all.13440. PubMed PMID: 29574787. (reported by AHRQ News now)
- Deng F, Li MD, Wong A, Kowalski LT, Lai K, Digumarthy SR, Zhou L. Quality of documentation of contrast agent allergies in electronic health records. J Am Coll Radiol. 2019 Mar 4. pii: S1546-1440(19)30065-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2019.01.027. (reported by Reuters Health)
- Zhou L, Blackley SV, Kowalski L, Doan R, Acker WW, Landman AB, Kontrient E, Mack D, Meteer M, Bates DW, Goss FR. Analysis of Errors in Dictated Clinical Documents Assisted by Speech Recognition Software and Professional Transcriptionists. JAMA Network Open. 2018 Jul 6;1(3):e180530-.(reported by the NEJM Journal Watch – Weekly Roundup Top Story, Reuters Health, Medscape Medical News, Physician’s Weekly, and other news media)
- Li Zhou’ story was reported by BWH Clinical & Research News in its “Career of the Future Series”. “Careers of the Future: Promising Professions in Research and Patient Care”, Jan 2017
- Acker WW, Plasek JM, Blumenthal KG, Lai KH, Topaz M, Seger DL, Goss FR, Slight SP, Bates DW, Zhou L. Prevalence of Food Allergies and Intolerances Documented in Electronic Health Records. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017 May 23. pii: S0091-6749(17)30672-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2017.04.006. [Epub ahead of print]. (Reported by the New York Times, NPR, CBS News and other news media)
- Our food allergy study was reported in the AAAAI eNews. JACI Study Estimates Percentage of Americans with Food Allergy
- Zhou L, Dhopeshwarkar N, Blumenthal KG, Goss F, Topaz M, Slight SP, Bates DW. Drug Allergies Documented in Electronic Health Records of a Large Healthcare System. Allergy. 2016. Sep;71(9):1305-13. doi: 10.1111/all.12881. Epub 2016 Apr 6. PMID: 26970431.(reported by the Wall Street Journal, Fox News and other news media)
- Topaz M, Seger DL, Slight SP, Goss F, Lai K, Wickner PG, Blumenthal K, Dhopeshwarkar N, Chang F, Bates DW, Zhou L. Rising drug allergy alert overrides in electronic health records: an observational retrospective study of a decade of experience. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016 May;23(3):601-8. doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocv143. Epub 2015 Nov 17. PMID: 26578227. (Selected as “Paper of the Month” by the Swiss Patient Safety Foundation who recommended this paper to ~4000 professionals in patient safety in Switzerland, Germany and Austria; Reported in AHRQ’s Patient Safety Network)
- Zhou L, Maviglia SM, Mahoney LM, Chang F, Orav, EJ, Plasek J, Boulware LJ, Lou H, Bates DW, Rocha RA. Supratherapeutic Dosing of Acetaminophen among Hospitalized Patients. Arch Intern Med (JAMA Internal Medicine). 2012 Dec 10;172(22):1721-8. PMID: 23401887. (Reported by Reuters and other news media)
- Zhou L, Soran CS, Jenter CA, Volk LA, Orav EJ, Bates DW, Simon SR. The Relationship between Electronic Health Record Use and Quality of Care over Time. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2009; 16(4): 457-64. PMID: 19390094. (reported by AHRQ’s online newsletter-Research Activities)
- Blackley S. Using Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning to Identify Hospitalized Patients with Opioid Use Disorder. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2020.
- Korach T. Facilitating information extraction without annotated data using unsupervised and positive-unlabeled learning. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2020.
- Lo Y. Study of the Temporal Impact of Renal Transplantation on End Stage Renal Disease Using Clinical Notes with a Data-driven Approach. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2020.
- Yang J. Deep Learning to Detect Allergy Events from Hospital Safety Reports. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2020.
- Wang L. Identification of PLWD for EOL Intervention: Can late stage disease be identified using EHR alone? NIA Impact Collaboratory Workshop: Future Priorities for Identifying People with Dementia from Digital Health Data for Embedded Pragmatic Clinical Trials. Online. 2020.
- Zhou L. (First Look) Machine Learning and NLP to Track Disease Progression and Predict Health Outcomes. 2019 Wold Medical Innovation Forum, Boston, MA.
- Zhou L. Applications in the EHR to Improve Drug Safety. SJS/TEN 2019: From Science to Translation, Vancouver, Canada.
- Goss F. (Keynote speech) NLP to Improve Accuracy and Quality of Dictated Medical Documents. AHDI’s Healthcare Documentation Integrity Conference, Orlando, FL. August, 2018.
- Zhou L, Blackley S. Improving Health IT Through Use of NLP/AI in Documentation. (presented at the 2018 HIMSS Conference and Exhibition, Las Vegas)
- Wang L, Plasek JM, Topaz M, Zhou L. Content and Trends in Medical Informatics Publications over the Past Two Decades. (presented at Medinfo, 2017, Hangzhou, China)
- National Web Conference on Improving Health IT Safety through the Use Natural Language Processing to Improve Accuracy of EHR. Webinar. AHRQ, Rockville, MD
- Plasek JM, Goss FR, Lai KH, Lau JJ, Seger DL, Blumenthal KG, Wickner PG, Slight SP, Chang FY,Topaz M, Bates DW, Zhou L. Food entries in a large allergy data repository. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016 Apr; 23 (e1): e79-87. Doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocv128. Epub 2015 Sep 17. PMID 26384406. (Presented in a JAMIA Club Webinar)
- Zhou L, Maviglia SM, Mahoney LM, Chang F, Orav, EJ, Plasek J, Boulware LJ, Lou H, Bates DW, Rocha RA. Supratherapeutic Dosing of Acetaminophen among Hospitalized Patients. Arch Intern Med (JAMA Internal Medicine). 2012 Dec 10;172(22):1721-8. PMID: 23401887. (presented at the International Society for Quality in Health Care’s Education Hub)
Best Paper Award Nominations
Student Travel Awards
Best Oral Presentation/Poster Awards
|2018||Partners in Excellence Award (in Leadership and Innovation), Partners HealthCare|
|2018||Faculty Pillar Award in Research Innovation, Brigham and Women’s Hospital|
|2017||Partners in Excellence Award (in Team, Quality Treatment and Service), Partners HealthCare|
|2016||Partners in Excellence Award (in Leadership and Innovation), Partners HealthCare|
|2016||Innovation Discovery Award, Partners Healthcare|
|2017||Computer Society Student Global Challenge, finalist|
|2016||“Idea Lab with Microsoft: Machine Learning in Healthcare,” BWH Innovation Hub, 1st Prize|
|2015||Health 2.0 Developer Challenge, Veterans Health Administration Care Coordination for Improved Outcomes Challenge, 2nd Place|